Settling in

Ok,“ so now you have moved into Res and you have dealt with some of the main issues facing residents when they arrive (homesickness, money, rules and regulations). Now the excitement really starts as€“ you are about to undertake some of the biggest events in your life at University -€“ Orientation (in your Residence and the University), and actually looking after yourself, getting around, and staying safe.


Orientation is a fantastic few weeks when Res, Study, Fun and Monash all collide in a way which will exhaust you, but also prepare you for life at University. Orientation is different at each campus, for each Faculty, for undergraduate/postgraduates and for each Residence, but one thing you can be sure of, is that Orientation is BUSY. MRS makes sure that all of our orientation programs fit into the wider academic and campus orientation programs and€“ you will have received emails about registering for the e-orientation planner but don’€™t worry if Res activities are not included – we make sure to fit around the very important orientation for your degree(s) and design our program to complement on-campus orientation.

See more at the Monash University orientation page
Monash also has programs dedicated to assisting you in your transition to University life

Food at Residential Events and in the Residential Community

Who doesn’t love free food?: answer – no one!

One of the great things about living in Res is activities where residents get together and share meals… some of these are provided by your RST (especially during orientation!) but there are also opportunities for you to enjoy food prepared by your fellow residents. And if you sharing your favourite dish from home with your fellow residents, you want to make sure they enjoy the meal! We really strongly recommend that every resident spend a little bit of time making sure that they understand food safety. The Victorian Government has a great online training program (which takes about 1 hour to complete) – All residents should complete this online course (which has a certificate) to make sure you are safe in preparing your food in the residence!

Here are some very useful links for food safety you may find helpful (or visit the Vic Health Website for more information):

MRS also has a policy about how food is prepared and served at Residence Functions (including ‘pot luck dinners) – this can be found in your Site Handbook 

Staying Safe

Monash has many services available to students studying at the University.  One of these services has the sole focus of helping you stay safe.

Safer Community Unit

The Safer Community Unit is a central point of enquiry for information, advice and support for Students and Staff in managing and dealing with inappropriate, concerning or threatening behaviours or incidents across all Monash campuses, as well as off-campus. Safer Community staff provides support and advice at all stages of responding to complex and sensitive situations. Students and staff are encouraged to ask for help if they:

  • feel attacked, harassed, intimidated, stalked, bullied or threatened
  • have concerns about someone else’s behaviour or wellbeing
  • have received unwanted attention
  • are worried about someone harming themselves or someone else
  • wish to clarify issues of responsibility, confidentiality or duty of care.
For helpful information on personal safety please click here.


Mon – Fri 9am to 5pm
Phone: +61 3 990 51599
Drop in: University Health Services

For immediate response and attendance:
On campus:  Security service
Off campus: Victoria Police
24 hour telephone counselling: 1800 350 359


Isn’€™t money great? Unfortunately, for most of us, one of the hardest parts of being a student is trying to manage your money. Not only are there uni fees to worry about but there are also other expenses like rent and food. Living away from home can certainly be an expensive time. You could get a part time job to help with your finances – to find yourself a part time job check out your local shopping centre or head to one of the many online agencies, or better still use the Monash Career Gateway (which has many services to help you with current and future employment) .

Monash University also has a centralised website for financial assistance for students (student loans, contact with the centrelink (Federal Government Income support), budgeting and managing your money ).  All this information can be found by visiting Monash Financial Assistance.

For more hints on budgeting and money from MRS residents visit Money (keeping your cash).


Getting around the campus when in Res is easy as€“ you can walk or ride a bike (simple!),  but sometimes you need to leave the safe embrace of the campus. Not everyone has a car. This means that we rely on friends (who have cars) or public transport to get around. It’€™s great to live on campus and walk to Uni, but when you want to get somewhere off-campus, PT (public transport) is the go.

Visit the public transport page for all monash campuses for helpful information. If you are a Monash student, you may be eligible for a public transport concession card. All you need to do to is log into your Web Enrolment System, click on the link to ‘transport concession’. If your are eligible for a concession card, an email will be sent to you with the form you take to your local train station to get your concession card. You can also use the Public Transport Victoria Journey Planner to work out the best way to get from where you are, to where you want to be. A great idea if you are going to have a night out in the city is the Nightrider service (buses which run late at night and are much cheaper than a cab – and goes right past the door of some of our residences). For some hints on staying safe on public transport (and when going out in general) visit Staying Safe. Monash Security also has some tips for those living in Res